headerimg

The injuries mounted at the Australian Open on Tuesday, although for the most part, players coped with the oppressive heat.

in Balance Discussion Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 am
by jinshuiqian0713 • Farseer | 1.260 Posts | 12600 Points

MELBOURNE, Australia - The injuries mounted at the Australian Open on Tuesday, although for the most part, players coped with the oppressive heat. Cheap Dante Pettis Jersey . No. 13-seeded John Isner and No. 21 Philipp Kohlschreiber were among six players who dropped out of the tournament on Tuesday, joining No. 12 seed Tommy Haas and two other players who withdrew on Monday. Despite temperatures reaching 42 Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) during the afternoon and a hot breeze gusting over Melbourne Park for most of the day, none of the withdrawals were apparently linked to the temperatures. Isner retired from his match against Slovakias Martin Klizan with a lingering ankle injury that he said got progressively worse at the Hopman Cup event in Perth and a tournament he won in Auckland, New Zealand, over the past two weeks. "I know movement is not the best part of my game," the 2.08-meter (6-foot-10) American said, "but at a certain point Ive got to be able to move without pain and I wasnt able to do that today." He withdrew before last years Australian Open with an injury, as well. "I thought I had a good shot at playing this match and winning this match and I pulled out," he said. "I could have done the same last year, but I went home." The other seeded player in his section of the draw, Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany, withdrew before his scheduled first-round match against Slovenian Aljaz Bedene with a left hamstring injury. He was replaced in the draw by Frenchman Stephane Robert, a lucky loser from qualifying, who defeated Bedene to reach the second round. Hometown favourite Bernard Tomic later retired with a left leg injury after losing the first set against top-seeded Rafael Nadal 6-4, much to the astonishment of the Rod Laver Arena crowd, who initially booed him. "It was very difficult for me to say sorry to the crowd," he said. "I dont think they quite knew what was wrong with me." Tomic suffered the injury in training on Monday. Czech veteran Radek Stepanek also retired from his match against Slovenian Blaz Kavcic with a neck injury while leading 7-6 (3), 6-4, 1-6, 0-2 after nearly three hours of play. A few other players struggled in the heat on Tuesday, but finished their matches. Canadian qualifier Frank Dancevic said he blacked out during his 7-6 (12), 6-3, 6-4 loss to No. 27-seeded Benoit Paire of France. Dancevic, who required medical attention during the second set, questioned the wisdom of not suspending matches during the torridly hot conditions. "I dont think its fair to anybody, to the players, to the fans, to the sport when you see players pulling out of matches and passing out," he said. "I think its definitely hazardous to be out there. Its dangerous." Cheap Mike McGlinchey Jersey .C. -- Charles Oakley, one of the NBAs all-time tough guys, may not return to the Charlotte Bobcats bench next season because of a painful back condition he says was caused during an assault last year in Las Vegas. Cheap 49ers Jerseys . -- The Sacramento Kings have claimed forward Travis Outlaw off waivers under the NBAs new amnesty provision, filling out the frontcourt with another veteran. http://www.cheap49ersjerseyselite.com/ . A person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press the Steelers will part ways with the former Pro Bowler, a move that hardly serves as a surprise after fifth-year linebacker Jason Worilds agreed to accept a "transition player" tag last week.Hes the most prolific receiver in CFL history and a future member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, but theres no guarantee Geroy Simon will return to help the Saskatchewan Roughriders defend their Grey Cup title. The Riders acquired the veteran slotback from the B.C. Lions in January 2013 to provide veteran leadership for a squad looking to make a successful Grey Cup run on home soil. After enduring one of the worst seasons statistically of his illustrious CFL career, Simon stood tall in the title game, registering three catches for 67 yards and two TDs in leading Saskatchewan to a 45-23 victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Mosaic Field. However, Brendan Taman, the Riders general manager and vice-president of football operations, couldnt guarantee Simons return during a CFL conference call Tuesday. "Geroy and I have, obviously, a pretty good relationship so when we made this deal last year to acquire him we knew at the end of the first year he played for us that wed sit down and talk about his role," Taman said. "Obviously we have a contract issue were going to have to talk about, too, so that plan is ongoing ... those talks are progressing, you could say, one way or the other. "Hes got as good a chance of not being back as he will be back." The six-foot 198-pound Simon, who turns 39 in September, had just 40 catches for 565 yards and three TDs last year, missing the first three regular-season games due to injury. The native of Johnstown, Pa., is the most prolific receiver in CFL history with 1,029 receptions for 16,352 yards -- both all-time records -- with 103 TDs ovver 15 seasons. Cheap Fred Warner Jersey. "Obviously he had a good year for us and did a good job for us," Taman said. "His status for 14 is to be determined and were still in talks about that." At the root of the talks, not surprisingly, is money. Simon was reportedly set to earn $205,000 with B.C. heading into the 2013 season. But the Lions were prepared to pay roughly half that while giving Simon a reduced role. When Simon and the Lions couldnt reach an agreement, GM Wally Buono, out of respect for the veteran, gave Simon permission to seek a trade rather than release him outright. When the Riders acquired Simon, they signed him to a one-year deal, plus an option, that reportedly called for a $170,000 base salary that, with bonuses, could increase to about $200,000. "There was an agreement in place that after the first year we would talk about a second year going forward," Taman said. "That was mainly, obviously, financial related. "Right now hes still on the same contract that he was on and if we can work that out and (it) stays that way well see. But we have some discussions we still have to do with him." Given the off-season departures of running back Korey Sheets (Oakland, NFL) and Weston Dressler (Kansas City, NFL), Simon was expected to be a key figure in the Riders offence this season. Also gone from Saskatchewans Grey Cup-winning squad are safety Craig Butler (free agent, Hamilton), defensive linemen Keith Shologan (Ottawa expansion draft) and Jermaine McElveen (free agent, Montreal) as well as linebacker Diamond Ferri (free agent, Montreal). Cheap Canadiens Jerseys Cheap Predators Jerseys Cheap Devils Jerseys Cheap Islanders Jerseys Cheap Rangers Jerseys Cheap Senators Jerseys Cheap Flyers Jerseys Cheap Penguins Jerseys Cheap Sharks Jerseys Cheap Blues Jerseys Cheap Lightning Jerseys Cheap Maple Leafs Jerseys Cheap Canucks Jerseys Cheap Golden Knights Jerseys Cheap Capitals Jerseys Cheap Winnipeg Jets Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..