headerimg

s asked to reflect on his entire career in pinstripes. I can honestly say I dont think anyone played harder, he said. I dont.

in Sun's Pride Sanctuary Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:35 am
by zxlbxj1 • Farseer | 487 Posts | 4870 Points

BARCELONA, Spain -- Playing without the injured Lionel Messi, Barcelona needed Adrianos long strike Sunday to beat Malaga 1-0 and maintain a perfect record through two rounds of the Spanish league. Barcelona kept Bernd Schusters team pushed back in its area early on at La Rosaleda Stadium but failed to finish its scoring chances until Adriano broke through in the 44th minute. Gerard Pique used his back to deflect the ball off the crossbar for Barcelona in the 58th before Malaga finally dared to look for an equalizer it nearly found through 17-year-old Fabrice Olingas shot from close to the penalty spot that hit the post in the 68th. "We went from better to worse," said Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino. "Our first half was good, with precise, dynamic ball movement and good play on the wings, but we lacked effectiveness and scoring chances. We needed to be more consistent (in the second half). We have to finish games off and not leave the rival the possibility to come back." Neymar went on as a substitute for the third straight game for Barcelona in the second half and shone with his dribbling, pace and a pair of shots that almost doubled the final margin. Martino said that after his performance, Neymar looks prepared to get his first start. "There is a difference between what we saw from Neymar today and the other day against Levante," Martino said. "I dont know how long it will be before he is starting, but in his head Neymar is ready." Messi bruised a muscle in his left thigh during Wednesdays 1-1 draw at Atletico Madrid in the first leg of the Spanish Super Cup. While Barcelona may still be without its all-time leading scorer for this Wednesdays return leg at Camp Nou, Atletico warmed up by thrashing Rayo Vallecano 5-0 earlier on Sunday for its second victory in as many rounds. Also, 10-man Celta Vigo emerged victorious 2-1 from a wild match at Real Betis, while Sevilla drew 0-0 at Levante as both teams remained winless. Cesc Fabregas was tasked to lead Barcelonas attack in place of Messi, and it took him 15 minutes to start causing havoc in Malagas defence. The former Arsenal midfielders best piece of playmaking came in the 19th when he threaded a through ball to Pedro Rodriguez, only for the forward to lose control while trying to dribble goalkeeper Willy Caballero. "I always try to play the same way, with motivation and working to improve," Fabregas said. "I know this is an important season for me. Our fans have asked more from me and I am trying." Malaga was disciplined in defence but in the first half could only manage a 28th-minute free kick by Vitorino Antunes that goalie Victor Valdes did well to block. Caballero turned back Alexis Sanchezs point-blank header in the 37th, but Adriano surprised him with a blistering left-footed effort from outside the area that the Argentine got an arm on but couldnt keep out. "There is always something you could have done when they score on you, but by then its always too late," Caballero said. Adriano was substituted by Dani Alves at halftime. The club said it was "for precaution" after the Brazilian defender felt "pain in his right leg." Neymar, who scored Barcelonas goal at Atletico on Wednesday, replaced Pedro in the 63rd and immediately showed his speed and ability to break down defenders one-on-one. His dribble between the legs of Jesus Gamez earned him a shove as the humiliated defender let his anger get the best of him. Neymars footwork produced a foul on the edge of the area that he turned into a curling free kick which Caballero dove to parry in the 80th. And seconds after Valdes saved a last-gasp header by Sebastian Fernandez in the 90th, Neymar pounced on a loose ball in the area, but his low shot clipped a defenders boot and looped over the bar. "The plan was to arrive alive to the last stage of the game and then fight for a good result," said Schuster. "The only thing that went wrong was that luck wasnt on our side. If you have three chances, you have to put one in." Turkey midfielder Arda Turan scored one goal and set up two more in Atleticos rout of Rayo as Diego Simeones side continues to impress. Raul Garcia headed in his first of two goals at Vicente Calderon Stadium in the 17th. Turan passed for forward Diego Costa to make it 2-0 in the 20th with his third goal of the season before then scoring himself from a pass by Diego Costa in the 35th. Turan crossed for Tiago Cardoso to head in the hosts fourth goal in the 53rd before Garcia got his double in the 90th. After Betis and Celta had both rattled the woodwork, Manuel "Nolito" Agudo guided Celta to a 2-0 lead by assisting Charles for a headed goal in the 67th before firing in a goal of his own in the 74th. But Celtas Borja Oubina received his second booking with five minutes to play. Betis pulled one back through Ruben Castro in the 90th and grazed the draw when Manuel "Chuli" Vazquez volleyed off the goal frame in injury time. Real Madrid visits Granada on Monday amid intense speculation that it will close the transfer of Tottenham winger Gareth Bale. On Friday, Athletic Bilbao beat Osasuna 2-0, and Getafe drew 2-2 with Almeria. On Saturday, Real Sociedad drew 1-1 at Elche, Espanyol eased by Valencia 3-1, and Villarreal edged Valladolid 2-1. Trey Burton Bears Jersey . Maricopa County spokeswoman Cari Gerchick says thats the finding from an autopsy conducted Thursday by the county Medical Examiners Office. Anthony Miller Bears Jersey . On paper, it looks a little like Andre the Giant taking on a midget wrestler. It has all the makings of a rout with the Americans adding an eighth win in nine outings of this biennial event. The Yanks have eight players in the top 15 in the world while the Internationals have just one. http://www.probearsonline.com/authentic-...ars-jersey/.The team had a meeting prior to facing Russia at the world junior hockey championship and got the effort theyve been looking for by defeating the Russians 4-1 to advance to the quarter-finals. Bears Jerseys . -- Caris LeVert had 14 points and a career-high 11 rebounds for his first career double-double, and No. Roquan Smith Jersey . The Oilers will try to get back in the win column on Monday when they continue a four-game road trip with a battle against the Buffalo Sabres. Edmonton won its third straight game last Wednesday against visiting San Jose, beating the Sharks 3-0 as Scrivens stopped 59 shots to set an NHL record for saves in a regular-season shutout.NEW YORK, N.Y. - The perfect script. Derek Jeter capped his Yankee Stadium farewell with a game-winning single in the bottom of the ninth inning, the latest a€” and perhaps last a€” storybook moment of his charmed and illustrious career, to give New York a 6-5 victory Thursday night over the Baltimore Orioles. Serenaded with adoring chants that echoed through the Bronx night, Jeter tipped his cap several times and drove in three runs. He launched an early RBI double off the left-centre wall and saved the best for last, a sharp, opposite-field single to right that knocked in the winner. It was above and beyond anything that Ive ever dreamt of, Jeter said. This was a lot of fun. During the raucous celebration that followed, Jeter said hes made his final appearance at shortstop, but hell likely play in some capacity this weekend at Boston. It appeared his tiebreaking grounder in the seventh would be the swing that sent the Yankees to a win when they built a 5-2 cushion against the AL East champions. Not bad a€” but not Jeter. Nope, hes always had a flair for the most electrifying kind of drama, and this night was destined to be no different. As if it was planned all along, closer David Robertson (4-5) gave up a two-run homer in the top of the ninth to Adam Jones and a tying shot to Steve Pearce with two outs. That only set the stage for Jeter one more time. Its like a movie, teammate Chase Headley said. You look up there and you see whos hitting third and youre like, really? This cant happen, can it? Youre surprised but youre not surprised. Jose Pirela hit a leadoff single against Evan Meek (0-4) in the bottom of the ninth before Brett Gardner sacrificed. Jeter lined the next pitch through a huge hole on the right side, and pinch-runner Antoan Richardson slid home ahead of Nick Markakis throw. An elated Jeter jumped and raised both arms between first and second. Yankees players rushed out to engulf him as former teammates such as Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, Tino Martinez and Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre lined up near the New York dugout waiting to greet the retiring captain. Sort of an out-of-body experience, Jeter said. He went back out to shortstop, crouched down at the edge of the outfield grass and bounced on his toes a couple of times before rejoining the group. Jeter tipped his cap again and was doused over the head with a sports drink by Gardner and CC Sabathia. To be honest with you, I dont know how I played this game, said Jeter, who acknowledged getting choked up several times throughout the day a€” usually somewhere he could be alone. I went up my first at-bat, I forgot my elbow guard. I was throwing balls away. I was giving signs to (Stephen) Drew at second base and theres no one on base, so I was all messed up. The 40-year-old Jeter made a throwing error in the second, then started a diffficult double play an inning later.dddddddddddd. At one point on the basepaths, he appeared to lose track of how many outs there were. But all that became merely a footnote when Jeter produced another indelible moment to go with his famous dive into the stands and his backhand flip to the plate and his home run for hit No. 3,000. Mr. November. Subway Series MVP. Jeffrey Maier. The list goes on and on. I dont think theres a more fitting way to end, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. In one twist that hardly fit, however, Jeters home finale was the only game he ever played at Yankee Stadium with his team already knocked out of the playoff race. Jeter ended last season on the disabled list, so the only other time in his 20-year career (2,745 regular-season games) that he appeared in a game with New York already out of post-season contention was in Boston on Sept. 26, 2008. His signature is winning. What other accolade can you pick? said Orioles skipper Buck Showalter, who was Jeters first manager when the youngster broke into the big leagues in May 1995. Take a good look, because there are not going to be many like this come your way again. Heavy rain soaked the city all afternoon, but the sky cleared in the evening and the tarp was removed from the infield an hour before the first pitch. A rainbow, in fact, appeared over the stadium. The game began right on time, but it didnt start well for the Yankees. Roll call by the Bleacher Creatures was interrupted just as they got to a roaring chant of De-rek Je-ter! Markakis hit a leadoff homer, awkwardly silencing a sellout crowd of 48,613 that included rap star Jay-Z and other famous faces. Alejandro De Aza followed with another long ball to right, the first time Baltimore had started a game with consecutive homers since hitting three in a row against Texas on May 10, 2012. Jeter, however, hit an RBI double in the first against rookie Kevin Gausman, who was 4 years old when Jeter made his major league debut. The ball banged off the left-centre wall a€” just missing a home run by a couple of feet. I went behind home plate to cover and I swear I felt the entire place shaking, Gausman said. Jeter scored on a grounder, and the fans were back into it. Hours later, he was asked to reflect on his entire career in pinstripes. I can honestly say I dont think anyone played harder, he said. I dont. TRAINERS ROOM Orioles: Pearce (right wrist) made his first start since Friday. Yankees: Sabathia (right knee surgery) said hes been playing catch and feels good. He said hes sure hell be ready to pitch in spring training next March. UP NEXT Orioles: RHP Chris Tillman (13-5) gets the ball Friday night in Toronto, a tuneup for his scheduled start in Game 1 of the playoffs next Thursday at Camden Yards. Yankees: Jeter is a .265 career hitter with 14 homers in 142 games at Fenway Park. Wholesale NFL T-shirts Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping NFL Jerseys Wholesale China NFL Gear Wholesale NFL Camo Jerseys Cheap NFL Hoodies Camo China NFL Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..