headerimg

12K (7.5 miles) remaining and that was up to a minute as they approached the steepest part of the final climb, with gradients of

in Maps Discussion Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 am
by zxlbxj1 • Farseer | 487 Posts | 4870 Points

SESTOLA, Italy -- Pieter Weening of the Netherlands edged out Davide Malacarne to win the ninth stage of the Giro dItalia on Sunday, while Cadel Evans retained the overall lead. Weening had been part of a breakaway group and apologized to Malacarne as he sprinted past him at the end of the final climb of the 172-kilometre (107-mile) leg from Lugo to Sestola for his second individual victory. A final burst from Domenico Pozzovivo saw the Italian cyclist finish third, 42 seconds behind, with the peloton coming in 1 minute, 8 seconds after Weening. "The guys werent working perfect in the group and it went slightly uphill," Weening said. "At the roundabout I saw everybody going the wrong way around and I came full speed on the right side and I felt that this was the moment. Normally you wait for the climb but this climb is not so steep to attack, so I thought I would attack before the climb." The top three in the overall standings remained unchanged and Evans has a 57-second advantage over Rigoberto Uran. Rafal Majka is third, while Pozzovivo moved up into fourth, 1:20 behind Evans. "I think we have to be satisfied with our work so far," Evans said. "The team, they put me in the position Im in now. Im very proud of my guys and we will rest well tomorrow." Victorias Ryder Hesjedal finished the stage in 14th and is 17th overall. Svein Tuft of Langley, B.C., was well back in 161st and is now last overall in the field at 181st. Despite a relatively flat opening half of the stage, the break took a while to form with the peloton holding the pace high. A group of 14 riders eventually escaped 50K (31 miles) in and swiftly built an advantage of more than seven minutes as the peloton seemed happy to let them go, with no threat to the overall lead among the escapees. However, with 35K (22 miles) remaining, BMC put its foot down and the peloton started slashing the gap which dropped to 3:19 at the top of the second and penultimate climb. Weening saw the danger and made his move, followed by Malacarne. The pair built up an advantage of more than 35 seconds with 12K (7.5 miles) remaining and that was up to a minute as they approached the steepest part of the final climb, with gradients of 14 per cent. The duo worked together before becoming more cagey in the final kilometre, each waiting for the other to start the sprint. Malacarne made his move with 250 metres to go, but Weening rounded him to take his second victory in this years race, after helping Orica-GreenEdge win the opening time trial. Pozzovivo jumped from the peloton with less than 5K (3 miles) remaining, catching and passing Enrico Barbin to finish third. Monday is a rest day before Tuesdays 10th stage, which is one for the sprinters -- a flat 173K (107.5-mile) leg from Modela to Salsomaggiore. Cam Talbot Jersey . After overcoming a three-goal deficit the Senators forced the game to overtime only to watch it slip away as Seth Jones scored the winner 3:49 into the extra period as the Nashville Predators defeated the Senators 4-3 Monday night. Mark Messier Jersey . The Brad Jacobs team from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., advanced to Fridays championship game with a 10-6 win over Chinas Rui Liu in the semifinal. http://www.hockeyoilersshop.com/kailer-yamamoto-jersey/. -- Conner Bleackley got it done in regulation time and in the shootout. Esa Tikkanen Jersey . Donald Young lost in straight sets to Israels Dudi Sela 6-3, 6-0. Querrey, ranked No. 61, is the second-highest ranked American, ahead of Johnson (64). Brian Ferlin Jersey . After Andrew Romine served up two monster home runs in the inning, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said he thought Romine was one of the bright spots on the night, showing just how bad the series opener against the last-place Minnesota Twins went for the Tigers.ATLANTA -- The Braves added a needed veteran for their rotation Monday when they agreed to a $4 million, one-year contract with right-hander Gavin Floyd. Now the question is when Floyd will be ready to pitch. Floyd, 30, is recovering from surgery in May to repair the ulnar collateral ligament and a torn flexor muscle in his right elbow. That ended his seventh season with the White Sox. He passed a physical in Atlanta on Monday before completing the deal, which also includes roster and performance bonuses. Floyd said his arm "feels tremendous." "Its nice to start over, create the right mechanics ... all the simple things to become more natural," he said. Atlanta also avoided arbitration with pitcher Brandon Beachy, agreeing to a $1.45 million, one-year deal. He would earn a $25,000 bonus for 30 starts. Floyd, who spoke at Turner Field on Monday, said he already has recovered his arm speed and is just working on endurance. He said he has been cleared to throw from 55 feet. Braves general manager Frank Wren said he hopes Floyd can be ready in May. Despite his optimistic update on his recovery, Floyd said "I have no idea" when hell be ready to pitch. Floyd said he liked the Braves, who won the NL East in 2013, for their consistent success. "It just seemed like all the arrows were pointing to Atlanta," he said. Wren said he expects Floyd to bbe a "solid, middle of the rotation starter.dddddddddddd" The Braves needed more experience in the rotation after losing Tim Hudson, who signed with the Giants, and free agent Paul Maholm. The rotation returns Julio Teheran, Mike Minor, Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy and Alex Wood. Medlen, 28, has the most experience of the group. Beachy, 27, missed most of the 2013 season recovering from elbow ligament-replacement surgery. David Hale, who was 1-0 with a 0.82 ERA in two starts this year, could compete for a spot. Wood pitched in relief in 20 of his 31 appearances last season. Even before Hudson signed with the Giants, Wren said adding a veteran starting pitcher was a top off-season priority. Wren said Floyd will help the younger starters. "Hes a solid starter thats been around and knows what needs to be done," Wren said. Before the elbow injury, Floyd consistently logged 180 or more innings with the White Sox. He won 10 or more games in five straight seasons from 2008-12. He was 0-4 with a 5.18 ERA in five games this year. Floyds best season in Chicago came in 2008, when he was 17-8. He has a 70-70 career record with the White Sox and Phillies. Floyd can earn $675,000 in roster bonuses: $175,000 for 15 days and $250,000 each for 30 and 60 days. He also can earn $250,000 each for each start from 21-28 and $500,000 apiece for each start from 30-33. White NFL Jerseys Cheap Youth NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys 2020 Stitched NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Autographed Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Discount Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..