headerimg

The Denver Broncos have re-signed tight end

in Maps Discussion Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:05 am
by zhangzk • Farseer | 137 Posts | 1370 Points

Jeff Heuerman to a two-year Womens Joe Flacco Jersey , $9 million contract."WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Broncos NewsBroncos Free AgencyBroncos DraftBroncos PodcastsBroncos 2019 ScheduleKey Offseason DatesCommunity RulesFull ArchiveBroncos StoriesScheduleRosterStatsOdds Shop About Masthead Community Guidelines StubHub 鉁旴reaking NewsBroncos 2019 Draft Class Announced脳Denver Broncos NewsDenver Broncos Free AgencyBroncos re-sign tight end Jeff Heuerman with a two year dealNew,123commentsThe Denver Broncos have re-signed tight end Jeff Heuerman to a two-year, $9 million contract. Broncos re-sign tight end Jeff Heuerman with a two year dealIsaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY SportsAs the Denver Broncos presser ran introducing Joe Flacco, Kareem Jackson, and Ja’Wuan James, news broke via Mike Klis that the team had re-signed tight end Jeff Heuerman to a two-year, $9 million contract. This was a much needed depth signing as the tight end position was looking bleak as both Heuerman and Matt LaCosse looked poised to depart. LaCosse signed with the New England Patriots on Wednesday, so being able to bring Heuerman back was huge from the depth concern standpoint. Heuerman, 26 Joe Flacco Jersey White , is a former third round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. He spent his first season on injured reserve after tearing his ACL during rookie minicamp. However, he steadily saw his role on the offense grow in each of the next three seasons. Heuerman appeared in 11 games in 2018, catching 31 passes for 281 yards and two touchdowns before being placed on injured reserve in late November.The Broncos still have questions about who to start at tight end and could very well add more players to the position group in free agency. NFL Twitter threw a fit last night. Naysayers need to calm down." Denver Broncos Training CampVic Fangio does not hate analytics New,39commentsNFL Twitter threw a fit last night. Naysayers need to calm down. MDTOne of the fun aspects of listening to the Broncos press conferences in real time is hearing Vic Fangio speak on a variety of topics that are benign enough to go unreported by most in the media. Yesterday it gave me the opportunity to hear him respond to a question on analytics in real time.The Broncos head coach was asked to answer how well he has gotten to know the Director of Football Analytics Mitch Tanney and how analytics help him as a coach. His response:To me, this seems perfectly reasonable. If you didn’t already know, I credit Football Outsiders as a huge influence in how I got so obsessed with the NFL way back in 2003. While its data and projections are brilliant, it also gets a lot of things wrong. So does Pro Football Focus, Sports Info Solutions, Warren Sharp and every other analytics expert. This isn’t meant to discredit their work by any means. Football is just notoriously difficult to breakdown to simple math. One reason for this is because the NFL’s regular season goes all of 16 games. It’s a really small sample size compared to say the NBA (82 games) or MLB (162 !!!). Beyond that Womens Courtland Sutton Jersey , you have roster size (53 compared to say, 15 in the NBA) and injuries (football has the most by a country mile). So even without diving into things like fumble luck, the randomness of kicker production, etc., there are a lot of variables to consider with football. Maybe my orange shades are on too tight, but that’s all Fangio seemed to be saying with the last half of his quote above. This didn’t stop me from expecting pandemonium last night:Needless to say, they did have some thoughts. Kevin Cole from Pro Football Focus was the first to share his disappointment:When Yahoo Sports’ Eric Edholm and I asked him how Fangio’s response was a problem, Cole read between the lines and made an assumption.Cole was hardly the only analytical expert to take issue with Fangio’s quote. He was just the first. Warren Sharp followed shortly after, but he shared a cutup version of the quote to make his own point.Don’t confuse thoughts on this for defending Fangio blindly Womens Von Miller Jersey , mind you. If he makes decisions that actively hurt the Broncos chances because he ignores what the numbers unequivocally suggest he do, I’ll be among the first to criticize him. But I also think analysts who rely on mathematical equations and context to make their points should also remember said context when they take issues with a response to a reporter in July. Perhaps I’m too close to the Broncos to realize how little the national media pays attention, but all reports since Fangio has been hired suggest he’s keeping up with the data. Maybe it’d pay to dig into that before you try to translate what a coach is saying to a reporter?At the end of the day, the very best teams in football bring analytics, film and the human element of the game together. To me that’s what Fangio was saying in his response, and it’s something that came across as a refreshing after the previous coaching staff refused to use play action when every bit of evidence suggested Case Keenum was a much better passer with it. We’ll see who’s right in time, but as I’ve said a number of other times...it’s July. Stop making assumptions based on shaky evidence.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..