headerimg

Wagner's injury this season was the opportunity

in Balance Discussion Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:55 am
by elaine95 • Farseer | 399 Posts | 3990 Points

The Rams can’t have it both ways. They proved that in the final two games of the postseason."WhiteSections 2019 offseason2019 free agency2019 NFL DraftFull ArchiveLibrary 2019 NFL calendar2019 Rams regular season sched2019 Rams preseason schedMasthead Community Guidelines NFL Odds StubHub 鉁?019 Los Angeles Rams Offseason2019 NFL Free AgencyThe Los Angeles Rams can’t re-sign RB C.J. Anderson if they’re committed to RB Todd Gurley.New Darrell Henderson Jersey Cheap ,64commentsThe Rams can’t have it both ways. They proved that in the final two games of the postseason.CSTShareTweetShareShareThe Los Angeles Rams can’t re-sign RB C.J. Anderson if they’re committed to RB Todd Gurley.Los Angeles Rams RBs Todd Gurley and C.J. Anderson聽bump chests after scoring a touchdown against the Dallas Cowboys in the divisional round of the playoffs, Jan. 12, 2019.Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY SportsOn July 24, 2018, Los Angeles Rams RB Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $57.5m extension that would keep him in LA through the 2023 season.Now just seven months later Darrell Henderson Jersey Womens , there’s another running back many Rams fans are hoping to re-sign: RB C.J. Anderson.Which sets up an inherent problem.For the Rams to get their money’s worth out of Gurley, he can’t be in a job share.Which is a weird fact to have to iterate given that he’s never been in one until the playoffs.Through the first 12 games of the season, Gurley spearheaded a reserve unit led by backup RB Malcolm Brown with RBs Justin Davis and John Kelly in deep roster support. Against the Detroit Lions in Week 13, Brown injured his clavicle. He had a “procedure,” not surgery (a point that could be relevant to Gurley in the weeks and months ahead), to repair his collarbone which landed him on injured reserve and ended his season. For the next two games Darrell Henderson white jersey , the Rams went with a Gurley-Davis-Kelly trio. The results as a whole were, given the circumstances and the expectations for the Rams in 2018, disastrous. The Rams lost to both the Chicago Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles sending us into Panic Week. But Gurley injured his knee against the Eagles. Though he was originally “on track” to play in Week 16, the Rams went ahead and signed Anderson to beef up the depth chart.And then everything changed.Gurley was listed as “Questionable” against the Arizona Cardinals in the penultimate regular season game. While he was expected to play, he was eventually ruled out before gametime. There was less drama in Week 17 against the San Francisco 49ers when the Rams ruled Gurley “Out” well before kickoff. In those two games, it was an Anderson-Kelly duo that got all the action. C.J. played 98 snaps (69.50%) to Kelly’s 43 (30.50%). The carry usage wasn’t far off from that with 43 (63.24%) for Anderson and 25 (36.76%) for Kelly.All of that is to say that Todd Gurley was used at about an 85% clip for the entire season until he injured his knee with a rush ratio similar to his playing time. That balance was changed for the Anderson-Kelly pairing that Rams Head Coach Sean McVay used to finish the season.The postseason? Completely different.The Rams essentially used three different gameplans on the ground between Gurley and Anderson. With such a small sample size Darrell Henderson Los Angeles Rams Jerseys , it’s hard to attribute specific outcomes to specific factors. How much of the balanced attack against the Dallas Cowboys was due to the absolute dominance of the Rams’ offensive line? Tough to say. What is clear though is that Gurley ran much less than Anderson per snap. Gurley had seven less runs than Anderson (16 to 23) despite playing 11 more snaps that game (45 to 34). Even weirder then was Gurley’s performance in the NFC Championship against the New Orleans Saints in which he got just four rushes to Anderson’s 16 while Gurley played 32 snaps along with Anderson’s 37. Super Bowl LIII clarified nothing as Gurley got 43 snaps to Anderson’s 22 while posting a running ratio of 10 for Gurley to Anderson’s 7.All of that is to say that finding a balance for Todd Gurley and C.J. Anderson might be possible. It’s also not worth it if Gurley’s fully healthy next season (which there’s no reason to think otherwise will be the case as of now) and he’s getting paid what he’s getting paid.Todd Gurley is one of the best running backs in the NFL. He nearly won the MVP in 2017 while earning Offensive Player of the Year honors. He earned his contract extension and is set to spearhead the Rams into the Los Angeles sports culture to a much more significant point than they’ve been thus far.Bringing back C.J. Anderson won’t help that. It will hinder it. The Rams only signed him in the first place because of the injuries to Gurley and Brown who himself is set to be a free agent.The Rams can’t bring back C.J. Anderson if they want Todd Gurley to be Todd Gurley especially not when they’re paying Todd Gurley like Todd Gurley. Stuck at home while out with a groin injury, Bobby Wagner met up with former Seattle teammates Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril to watch the Seahawks' game in Chicago.Sitting there as his team lost wasn't very enjoyable for Wagner."I'm definitely a guy who yells at the TV. I'm calling out plays and think they're going to hear you," Wagner said Thursday.Seattle's All-Pro middle linebacker is expected back in the lineup Sunday when the Seahawks host Dallas looking to avoid falling to 0-3 for the first time under Pete Carroll. For the most part, the defense wasn't the problem on Monday night against the Bears. The Seahawks held them to 271 total yards and only 10 offensive points after Chicago scored on its opening drive.But having Wagner back will certainly be a boost in what's essentially become a must-win game just three weeks into the regular season.Wagner said he was initially injured in the second quarter of the season-opening loss at Denver. He didn't believe it was going to be an issue until after the game.Sitting out Week 2 showed Wagner had gained a new perspective after the issues he had with a lingering hamstring injury last season.Wagner wouldn't sit a year ago to let his hamstring have at least a week off to get better. The result was a muscle injury that got worse until Wagner was on the field unsuccessfully trying to play on one leg."Last year I was kind of in the same situation with my hamstring and I can say I didn't necessarily trust the trainers in that situation and it kind of lingered for the last eight games," he said. "It wasn't something I wanted to do again so I made the grown up decision and did the right thing this time."Asked why he was so stubborn a year ago, Wagner said he believed he could play through the injury and still contribute at a high level. It wasn't until Seattle's Week 14 loss at Jacksonville that it became a significant issue and it was completely evident a week later in a blowout loss to the Rams."I felt like I fared pretty well up until the Jacksonville game. I think that's when it really got worse and it kind of lingered into the Rams game Los Angeles Rams Jerseys 2019 , which if you watch the film you see it," Wagner said. "Kind of dealing with that I didn't want to do that again and was smarter this time."An unintended benefit of Wagner's injury this season was the opportunity for Austin Calitro to make his first start. Seattle has struggled to find a clear backup for Wagner since his rookie season, at times shifting K.J. Wright into the middle for games Wagner has missed. Calitro received positive reviews from his first start, and has now played significant snaps at two linebacker positions in the first two weeks."He played a really good football game and it's more than just the plays and getting lined up and all," coach Pete Carroll said. "It was making the calls, handling situations Darrell Henderson black jersey , handling the adjustments that we made during the game, communicating to guys around him. He played like a veteran player and I was really pleased with that."

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..