headerimg

When Drew Brees became the NFL’s career

in Maps Discussion Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:41 am
by zhangzk • Farseer | 137 Posts | 1370 Points

METAIRIE Hakeem Butler Jersey , La. (AP) — leader in yards passing, he wanted to come up with some sort of gift to thank those who coached him, caught the 6,357 completions it took to set the record and blocked while he threw.His solution was an exhaustive process than involved the production of about 175 unique commemorative footballs and the enlisting Saints front office and public relations staff to help track down 99 receivers, 56 offensive linemen, 11 head or assistant coaches from his 18 pro seasons as well as others instrumental in his success.They began receiving their custom-made footballs this week, which pleased Brees because he wanted it done before Christmas.“Naturally you start thinking, ‘OK, well, a lot of people have caught those balls,” Brees said. “So let’s get a list of all the pass catchers and the number of catches and the number of yards and let’s put together a game ball for them and put those statistics on there for them, so they know that they have a piece of this and they were an important part of it.'”That’s how the effort started. But Brees soon realized he couldn’t just limit it to receivers.“It’s not just about the receivers. It’s about the guys blocking.’ So it’s like Chris Lindstrom Jersey , ‘All right, let’s find every offensive lineman that’s ever started a game.’ So we did that,” Brees said. “Then I started thinking about coaches. Then I started thinking about other people as well. So it was actually a long list. But I just wanted to do that for them.”Even current Saints players, such as veteran tight end Ben Watson, received the balls at their homes — not the mail room or locker room at Saints headquarters.“It’s him. It’s surprising but it’s not surprising at the same time that he would give a special thanks to the guys that helped him along the way,” Watson said. “Obviously, this is his accomplishment. But him being the leader that he is, he loves to defer praise to other people.”Watson said he was “Just thankful to be able to play with him and be able to contribute to the greatness that he’s achieved.”Recipients included rookie receiver Tre’Quan Smith, who caught the 62-yard touchdown pass in Week 5 against Washington on which Brees surpassed the 71,940 yards passing of previous record-holder Peyton Manning.Smith said Brees’ gesture “shows what kind of guy he is, and you want to be around somebody like that, who shows appreciation.”The package with ball included a typed letter signed by Brees. Receivers http://www.lionsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-jahlani-tavai-jersey , linemen, coaches and other “contributors” each got different variations of the letter, depending on the nature of their roles in the record.The balls sent to retired players included the number of passes they caught from Brees and the total yardage of those catches. For example, the ball sent to Saints career receiving leader Marques Colston specifically recognized his 705 receptions for 9,709 yards.For current players, Brees didn’t include such stats, which grown since Manning’s old mark was eclipsed in October.Brees said he was gratified by text messages he’d received. Brandin Cooks sent him a video from the locker room at the headquarters of the former Saints receiver’s current team, the Los Angeles Rams.Former Chargers fullback Fred McCrary sent a video of himself holding his ball in a barber shop, boisterously bragging that he’s “famous today.”Brees said he’d also received a text Friday from former Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.Recipients that Brees considered “contributors” included Dr. James Andrews, the surgeon who repaired the quarterback’s heavily damaged throwing shoulder in 2006, as well as independent throwing coach Tom House, Saints owner Gayle Benson and Saints general manager Mickey Loomis. JACKSONVILLE Kyler Murray Jersey , Fla. (AP) — Yannick Ngakoue grew tired of watching from the sideline as teammates participated in 11-on-11 drills. So he took a different approach to stand out Tuesday.The Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end ran onto the field during a special teams play, scooped up a punt and started juking would-be tacklers.“Just trying to show my athleticism a little bit,” Ngakoue joked after the team’s first organized team activity.Ngakoue is willing to do just about anything to bolster contract negotiations.The former Maryland standout, a third-round draft pick in 2016, is entering the fourth and final year of a $3.84 million rookie deal. He’s due to make $2.025 million this fall — far less than other top playmakers at his position.He showed up for the first two days of the team’s voluntary, offseason conditioning program in April before leaving and spending the past month working out in Miami. Ngakoue rejoined teammates Tuesday and emphatically said he plans to play this season even if he doesn’t get a long-term contract.“Of course, I’m going to play,” he said. “I love the game. I’m in God’s hands at the end of the day. I’ve been playing this game my whole life and that’s what I’m here to do.”Ngakoue has 29 ½ sacks and 10 forced fumbles in three NFL seasons, developing into a key piece of one of the league’s top defenses.“It’s self-explanatory what I’ve done in three years, what I’ve amassed in three years,” he said.The Jaguars hope to re-sign the 24-year-old Ngakoue, but getting it done might take patience. The team has roughly $13 million in salary cap space for 2019 and could get nearly $10 million more in additional room if linebacker Telvin Smith http://www.arizonacardinalsteamonline.com/byron-murphy-jersey , who intends to sit out this season , fails to show up for training camp.They also could rework a high-end contract or two to free up extra cap space.Although Ngakoue brushed aside several questions about a potentially huge payday, he acknowledged how pass rushers have cashed in this offseason.Dallas’ Demarcus Lawrence and Kansas City’s Frank Clark signed five-year, $105 million contracts. Lawrence got $65 million guaranteed, and Clark received $62.3 million guaranteed.Trey Flowers signed a five-year year, $90 million deal with Detroit that included $56 million guaranteed. And Dee Ford signed a five-year, $85 million contract with San Francisco that included $45 million guaranteed.“That’s not a secret,” Ngakoue said. “We all can go on the computer; we see what they’re getting. At the end of the day, it’s a blessing to be in that position and I’m thankful. If it comes, it comes.”Until then, Ngakoue plans to continue practicing with his team. He said he will be in attendance for the remaining 12 OTAs, wants to be voted a captain this season and hopes to be a mentor to fellow defensive end Josh Allen Andy Isabella Jersey , the seventh overall pick in the NFL draft who could end up splitting snaps with Ngakoue.“Just trying to build some team camaraderie, being a leader, trying to be different,” Ngakoue said. “That’s the main reason why I came back. I don’t have to be here, but I chose to be here. Just shows you how much I love the game. That’s why I want to be here, to help some guys out.’Coach Doug Marrone applauded the effort.“It’s always good when you’re around your teammates,” he said. “Consistency and being around, I think that’s part of the chemistry and all the other stuff, so yeah, I’m appreciative of all the players that are here during this voluntary period.”

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..