headerimg

Danny Farquhar wore a specially designed protective cap

in General Discussion Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:48 am
by panxing18 • Farseer | 334 Posts | 3340 Points

TAMPA Felipe Vazquez Jersey , Fla. (AP) — Friday during his first spring training bullpen session with the New York Yankees.Farquhar collapsed in the Chicago White Sox dugout last April 20 after pitching in the sixth inning against Houston. He was diagnosed with a ruptured aneurysm and brain hemorrhage, had surgery the next day and was hospitalized until May 7. Farquhar was not cleared to pitch again in 2018, became a free agent after the season and signed a minor league contract with the Yankees.“I am extraordinarily just thankful,” Farquhar said.He met with doctors and trainers at Steinbrenner Field on Monday to design his hat, which includes Kevlar and foam. After a proper fit was found, it took just two days to create the final product.“It looks like a hat, it’s just two sizes big and it’s got like a skully protector on the inside,” Farquhar said. “At first when I put it on, it felt a little shallow on my head, like kind of sitting up a little bit. Today it felt like normal baseball hat. It didn’t feel anything crazy, so I’d be curious to see if maybe one day MLB mandates it for all pitchers just for the extra protection.”Farquhar threw 27 pitches in front of Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild, guest instructor Ron Guidry and rehabilitation pitching instructor Greg Pavlick.“Baseball’s been something I’ve done since I was five years old,” said Farquhar, who turns 32 Sunday. “I remember being in the ICU and wondering when stretch was so I can get back out there and not truly understanding the situation. Honestly, it’s my drive, my passion.”He has pitched in 253 games over seven big league seasons, going 10-15 with a 3.39 ERA and 18 saves for Toronto (2011) Sean Rodriguez Jersey , Seattle (2013-15), Tampa Bay (2016-17) and the White Sox (2017-18).“Just even getting to know him the first couple days and to see the kind of joy that he has just putting the uniform on again, it’s been really neat,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “I think it’s important not to get lost that this is a guy who can pitch, too. I think the first thing for him is, obviously, getting through a full spring training and getting back into that everyday grind of being a ballplayer and being a big league pitcher. We feel like there’s a chance he can absolutely help us this year.”Farquhar was 1-1 with a 5.63 in eight innings over eight games last year,“The support that I have around the league is uplifting is,” he said. “It makes me feel like everybody has my back. Words don’t express how incredible it makes me feel.”He doesn’t know yet when he will face hitters for the first time.“No fear or trepidation yet,” Farquhar said “I haven’t had any hurdles to jump, but I’m sure those hurdles will come. Honestly, it’s just been working out and throwing more than anything. Haven’t had to face a batter. Haven’t given up a home run yet. So, I think there’s a lot more steps that I still have to go through.”Notes: Reliever Dellin Betances, excused for the birth of his son, is expected to report Monday. FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Miguel Sano walked into the Minnesota Twins‘ clubhouse just before 8 a.m., looking trimmed down in rainbow sneakers and a black sweat suit.“You look good http://www.piratesfanproshop.com/authentic-josh-bell-jersey ,” said catcher Jason Castro, a sentiment echoed by teammates between hugs and handshakes with the 25-year-old slugger.A slimmer Sano is a promising sign for Minnesota. He struggled with his weight last season following offseason surgery on his left shin and was demoted to Class A Fort Myers in mid-June after hitting .203 over 37 games. He finished the year at .199 with 13 homers in 71 games.“I worked really hard and I’ve been doing a lot of yoga and a lot of agility stuff and a lot of lifting, so I feel a lot different from last year,” Sano said. “I feel like this year can be a lot different for everybody.”One of Sano’s first stops Sunday was expected to be the trainer’s room. He arrived to camp with a cut on his lower right leg that he suffered near the end of the Dominican winter ball season.“Otherwise, besides that, he looks great,” Twins rookie manager Rocco Baldelli said. “As good or better as we could have hoped coming into camp.”Sano started offseason workouts in late October, changing up his diet and his attitude after the worst season of his pro career. Many of his exercises were football-inspired, with an emphasis on flexibility. He also brought on his sister as a nutritionist — she also plans to live with him in Minnesota this season. He wasn’t sure exactly how much weight he’d lost, but expected it was enough to make a difference on the field.“New year, 2019, everything’s in the past,” he said. “The new Miguel Sano. We’ve got a great team. We look at the positive stuff. The negative we leave in the past.”In 2017, Sano was one of the AL’s big sluggers. He made his first All-Star team and finished with a .264 average, 28 home runs and 77 RBIs in 114 games. That came after hitting 25 homers in 2016 and 18 as a rookie in ’15, which earned him third in the AL’s rookie of the year voting.“He looks good,” said new teammate Nelson Cruz http://www.piratesfanproshop.com/authentic-josh-bell-jersey , who also reported Sunday. The power hitter signed a $14.3-million, one-year free agent deal that comes with a $12-millon club option, leaving Seattle after four years during the offseason.The Twins are hoping the pair can add some pop to a lineup that finished 12th in the AL in homers last season.The 38-year-old Cruz has been one of the game’s top power hitters the past five seasons, belting at least 37 homers each year.“We talked a lot,” Cruz said of Sano. “He wanted to get me here.”Cruz expects to spend time chatting with Sano during the season.“Definitely. We’re 24-7 baseball, so, definitely, we’ll talk about the situation of the game, not only him but the coaches, too,” he said. “We’re here to learn, myself, too.”NOTES: Twins former stars Rod Carew and Tony Oliva were in the clubhouse. … Full-squad workouts begin Monday morning.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..