headerimg

it 4-1.“We got energy from the penalty kill,” Chicago coach Jeremy Colliton said. “It seemed like we got the desperation and the

in Balance Discussion Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:22 am
by elaine95 • Farseer | 399 Posts | 3990 Points

CHICAGO (AP) When Joe Serpico closes his eyes http://www.senatorsshoponline.com/authentic-bobby-ryan-jersey , he can go right back to that day in 1961.Serpico’s big Italian family gathered for cake and coffee for his 10th birthday. On a table full of presents, there was one unwrapped Wieboldt’s department store box from uncle Jerry ”The Barber” Del Giudice – a pair of game-worn jerseys from Chicago Blackhawks stars Bobby Hull and Glenn Hall – a moment of pure joy that stayed with Serpico forever.”I knew their birthdays, I knew these guys, this was my whole life, was hockey,” he said, ”and at 10 years old to get a gift coming from the two of them was phenomenal.”Serpico, born and raised in Chicago, grew up, got married and had five children with his wife Linda, four girls and one boy. The jerseys went along for the ride, tucked away for safe keeping. But that changes this weekend, when bidding on the signed Hull jersey comes to an end as part of Heritage Auctions’ Platinum Night Auction.Serpico, 66 Chris Wideman Jersey , wore the Hull jersey when he touched the Stanley Cup a couple years ago – a surprise present from one of his daughters – and something changed.”That was on my bucket list,” he said, ”and I feel like, maybe I could share it with somebody else. I hope it ends up in the right hands. I don’t know. … I’m having a hard time letting it go.”Serpico’s uncle was a colorful character who served as the team barber for decades, becoming friendly with Hull, Hall and several other players. He went to the old Chicago Stadium to cut their hair on Wednesdays, or they would come to one of the family barbershops on the weekend on occasion, creating lines of kids looking for autographs that ran around the block, according to Serpico.Hull and Hall were packing up after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 1961 when Del Guidice mentioned Serpico’s birthday was coming up.”He was down there and he said `Hey, you know in a couple weeks is Joey’s birthday. It’d be nice if I brought him something,’ and Bobby and Glenn threw him a jersey,” Serpico said. ”That’s the story that was given to me.”Hull was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1983, and there is a statue of him outside of the United Center in Chicago. The high-scoring forward played 15 of his 23 seasons with the Blackhawks, but Chris Ivy Womens Craig Anderson Jersey , the director of the sports category for Heritage, said game-worn Hull jerseys from his Chicago days are ”pretty scarce.””I’d say there’s only a handful of them known in the hobby,” he said. ”Now there is some from his other teams. There’s some from the Jets and from Hartford. But the Blackhawks jerseys, there’s not a whole lot.”Heritage analyzed Serpico’s jersey – looking at the numbers, the fonts and other parts of the sweater – and determined it’s from the 1958-59 season, Hull’s second year in the league.”This may be one where his uncle asked either Hull or the equipment manager, you know, Hull said `Hey, I want to give a jersey away to my buddy. Do you have an old one laying around?”’ Ivy said, ”and I suspect that’s how they got a jersey in ’61 that had actually been used a couple years previous.”Decades after Serpico got the jerseys from his beloved uncle, he got each of them signed.Hall asked Serpico to try on his No. 1 sweater one last time, and the Hall of Fame goaltender later sent Serpico a hand-written letter thanking him for being a fan. Hull’s No. 9 was retired by the Blackhawks – like Hall and No. 1 – but the jersey up for auction is No. 16, which Hull wore for a short time at the beginning of his career. And Hull was impressed by Serpico’s knowledge of the numbers from his career.”Bobby looked at me and he started laughing. He’s like `OK, so you do remember a lot of the history Authentic Erik Karlsson Jersey Kids ,”’ Serpico said.Del Guidice died a few years ago at age 81, and Serpico said he wishes his uncle was still around to share his own stories. Serpico’s family lived in the same Chicago neighborhood when he was growing up, and his uncle served as his godfather for confirmation and a consistent resource in his life.While the Hull jersey is heading for another home – ”I don’t even know if I’ve done the right thing about it,” Serpico said – Hall’s sweater is staying put. Probably forever.”My son’s comment … if he was here, he’d tell you `My dad’s going to be buried in that jersey and only that jersey,”’ a chuckling Serpico said.—Online:Heritage Auctions: https://www.ha.com—Jay Cohen can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/jcohenap NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Missing a few players due to injuries and an illness, the Nashville Predators reached to the minors for some help. It paid off with a win.Eeli Tolvanen scored his first NHL goal and added an assist to lead Nashville to a 5-2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday night.Tolvanen, the 30th overall pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, got his first goal 3 1/2 minutes into the game. On the left half wall, Smith sent a backhand pass to Tolvanen alone in the low slot, where he sent a backhand over Ward’s glove to push Nashville’s lead to 2-0.“That’s a goal I’m going to remember my whole life,” Tolvanen said. “It was a great pass. I was kind of alone with the goalie and I tried a backhand and it went in.”Tolvanen was recalled from Milwaukee of the AHL earlier Saturday after Filip Forsberg, the team’s leading goal scorer Jean-Gabriel Pageau Jersey , was placed on Injured Reserve with an upper-body injury that will sideline the Swede for 4 to 6 weeks.Nashville was already without forwards Viktor Arvidsson and Kyle Turris and defenseman P.K. Subban, who all are on IR. Center Nick Bonino missed Saturday’s game with illness. Anthony Richard was also recalled Saturday and arrived at the arena late in the afternoon in time to make his NHL debut.“It’s different when you lose one,” Nashville coach Peter Laviolette said. “When it was just (Arvidsson), it was. ‘Alright we’ll juggle it up a little bit,’ but I still think that there was a real belief that we were going to be successful tonight. Opportunity for guys like Eeli, like (Anthony) Richard coming up here. I thought he played a good game.”Craig Smith, Kevin Fiala and Ryan Johansen also each had a goal and an assist, and Austin Watson added an empty-netter for the Predators. Pekka Rinne stopped 19 shots.Nashville was motivated after a 3-0 loss to Arizona on Thursday night.“We had a tough practice yesterday, everybody was pretty angry,” Fiala said. “Today we (brought) it to the game and everyone was still (upset) about the last game and it was a great response.”Brandon Saad and Artem Anisimov scored for Chicago, which has lost three straight. Cam Ward finished with 24 saves.Johansen’s power-play goal at 4:11 of the first made it 3-0. Fiala attempted a wraparound on the right post but the puck sailed wide to Johansen positioned on the left post and he scored his fifth of the season.“We haven’t started well lately and we’re trying to figure out a way to correct that and it’s just not happened,” Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said. “It’s frustrating. We’ve got to be better, we know that. Try and keep cracking down on all the little details, that’s all we can do.”On a rare 7-minute power play for the Predators http://www.senatorsshoponline.com/authentic-mark-stone-jersey , including two full minutes of a 5-on-3, the teams traded goals, with Saad scoring short-handed with 7:40 left and Smith on the power play with 6:25 remaining to make it 4-1.“We got energy from the penalty kill,” Chicago coach Jeremy Colliton said. “It seemed like we got the desperation and the urgency that we needed when we were in that spot.”The lengthy man-advantage was a result of Duncan Keith being assessed 29 minutes in penalties, including a game misconduct, at 7:18 after taking exception to a check that Predators forward Miikka Salomaki delivered to him on the right boards.Anisimov scored the only goal of a relatively quiet second period. Brandon Manning drew three Predators to him in the left circle before firing a pass to an unchecked Anisimov in the slot, where he beat Rinne on the glove side to pull Chicago within two.Watson added his empty-netter with 2:54 remaining in the third.Fiala scored the game’s first goal at 2:11 of the opening period. From the left point, Matt Irwin threw the puck into traffic in front of the Chicago net. In the low slot, Fiala grabbed the puck, spun around and beat Ward low on the stick side.NOTES: Laviolette earned his 200th regular season victory with Nashville. … Predators C Anthony Richard made his NHL debut. … Nashville is 6-2-0 against fellow Central Division teams this season. … Chicago is 2-12-1 when giving up the first goal. .. Anisimov has scored in consecutive games for the first time this season.UP NEXTBlackhawks: Host Calgary on Sunday.Predators: Host Buffalo on Monday.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..