headerimg

long shoelaces like a pendulum

in Balance Discussion Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:14 am
by elaine95 • Farseer | 399 Posts | 3990 Points

MIAMI (AP) — An early run was enough for the Marlins to end their frustrations against the Braves.Dan Straily combined with three relievers on a three-hitter Derek Holland Jersey , and Miami snapped a seven-game losing streak against Atlanta with a 1-0 victory Friday night.Straily (5-6) allowed three hits, walked one and struck out four in six innings for his first win since June 20. He retired the final nine batters he faced after Freddie Freeman’s leadoff single in the third. That was Atlanta’s final hit of the game.“These are the kind of wins that when you look back at the season, I’m not going to say turning point by any means, but everyone talks about (how) good teams win the 1-0 ballgames,” Straily said. “We took a first-place team and beat them 1-0. It shows you we are capable. We just have to believe in ourselves and keep playing as hard as possible.”Dayron Guerrero and Drew Steckenrider worked the seventh and eighth, and Adam Conley pitched a perfect ninth for his first save in his second opportunity.Atlanta pinch hitter Adam Duvall hit a deep drive to start the ninth that right fielder Rafael Ortega ran down. Conley retired Freeman and Nick Markakis to end it.“You hit a roadblock sometimes in baseball,” Braves manager Brian Snitker said. “That’s why we play 162. They battled to the end. You’ve got to tip your hats to Straily and the ‘pen over there for pitching well.”The win was Miami’s first over Atlanta since July 24. The first-place Braves maintained a three-game lead over the Philadelphia Phillies in the NL East.“It’s really satisfying, especially the way we got it,” Marlins third baseman Brian Anderson said. “Our pitching did an incredible job today, just up and down. We got the timely hit that we’ve been waiting for.”Mike Foltynewicz (10-8) retired the first 11 Marlins hitters until Anderson’s double to left-center in the fourth. Derek Dietrich followed with an RBI single that gave Miami its only run.“Obviously that hit there, you don’t look at a 1-0 (final),” Miami manager Don Mattingly said. “Guys did a nice job coming out of the ‘pen and got some big outs for us.”Foltynewicz allowed two hits, walked two and struck out eight in six innings. The Marlins also got only three hits in the game.“Everything was kind of working,” Foltynewicz said. “The slider was backing up in the last few innings, but other than that the fastball command was there, the life, and off-speed. I’m still a work in progress.”The Braves threatened in the second, when Straily allowed a one-out double to Johan Camargo and walked Ozzie Albies. Straily induced an inning-ending double-play grounder from Tyler Flowers.REALMUTO’S STRUGGLESJ.T. Realmuto went 0 for 3 and is now hitless in his last 16 at-bats. Realmuto’s last hit came in a 2-for-5 performance against Washington on Sunday. He remains one home run shy of tying his regular-season high of 17.SLICK GLOVE WORKBraves shortstop Dansby Swanson stretched and retrieved pinch-hitter Isaac Galloway’s grounder toward center field in the seventh. Swanson used his glove to flip the ball to second baseman Albies and retire Miguel Rojas on a forceout.TRAINER’S ROOMBraves: C Kurt Suzuki missed his third straight game because of bruised left triceps. Suzuki sustained the injury after he was hit by a pitch in the ninth inning of Atlanta’s game against Pittsburgh on Tuesday. Manager Brian Snitker said Suzuki was available to pinch-hit.Marlins: As expected, LHP Jarlin Garcia was placed on the 10-day disabled list. Garcia was hit on the left leg by a line drive from Atlanta’s Nick Markakis in the fifth inning of Thursday’s series opener. To make room for Garcia, Miami reinstated RHP Kyle Barraclough from the DL. … The Marlins placed RHP Elieser Hernandez on the 10-day DL because of a blister on his pitching hand and recalled RHP Ben Meyer from Triple-A New Orleans.UP NEXTBraves RHP Anibal Sanchez (6-4, 3.13 ERA) will start the third game of the series on Saturday. LHP Wei-Yin Chen (4-9, 5.20) will start for Miami. The Dodgers started the night well-fueled thanks to Buehler, who fired seven impressive shutout innings in a game Los Angeles manager Dave Roberts called "must-win." The kid is 24 years old going on Legend. A year ago, he watched Game 2 of the World Series from an upper-deck seat in the left-field corner of Dodger Stadium. Friday night, he stared hard at his World Series debut...and the World Series blinked."Certain people can handle a moment like this and understand what was at stake tonight," Roberts said of Buehler. "And we needed his best effort. And we needed him to go deeper than their starter, log some innings. Some guys run from it. Some guys can't answer the bell."The bell answered to Buehler. Whenever that day comes when Kershaw is finished in Los Angeles Buster Posey Jersey , it will be Buehler who eases the sting for Los Angeles fans."You can't say enough about Walker," Freese said. "He's a playoff stud. I don't know what to say about the guy. He's just a bulldog. He's had the ball in some very meaningful games."He left with a 1-0 lead, but closer Kenley Jansen surrendered a game-tying home run to Jackie Bradley Jr. with two out in the eighth. Forced to play without a DH in the NL park, Cora opted to bench Andrew Benintendi instead of Bradley, and Bradley rewarded him.In the moment, it appeared as if that dagger could have been fatal to the Dodgers. No team has ever come back to win a World Series after losing the first three games, and Boston appeared to be gaining momentum.Also in the moment, nobody could know that they would be playing for, oh, another four hours or so."The seventh to ninth innings, I took a nap," quipped Freese, who, in pinch-hitting for reliever Dylan Floro, became the last position player to enter the game from either team as both Roberts and Cora emptied their benches."No," Freese continued. "I just stayed loose, man."This game was wild."By the time Freese entered, Eovaldi was well into what should have been a heroic evening. After twice coming back from Tommy John surgery in his career, Eovaldi was acquired by Boston from Tampa Bay on July 25 and will be a free agent this winter. He's already made himself a lot of money this month by emerging as one of Boston's most dependable and dominant pitchers, but he outdid himself Friday.Only three times in his 22 appearances this summer鈥?1 of which were starts鈥攄id Eovaldi throw more than the 97 pitches he fired in Game 3. He hit 100 mph when he entered in the 12th and was still clocking in the high 90s five innings later."Effort-wise...that was one of the best performances, probably, in World Series history," Cora said.Bleacher Report BleacherReportWILD. (via MLB)dFyLgZ9uF1Eovaldi nearly left with a smile, and much earlier. Boston scored a run in the 13thinning when Brock Holt walked, was wild-pitched to second and then scored from there on Eduardo Nunez's infield single when pitcher Scott Alexander threw wild to first.But in the bottom of the inning, with two out and Muncy on second, Yasiel Puig drove a ground ball up the middle that Ian Kinsler ranged over http://www.giantsfanproshop.com/authentic-joe-panik-jersey , scooped up...and then threw wild to first, tying the game at 2-2."I had the last out in my glove, and we ended up playing however many innings, 18 innings, 19 innings, whatever," a dejected Kinsler said. "I had an opportunity to end the game right there, and it didn't happen."Kinsler's right foot slipped as he turned to make the throw, digging up a large divot in the Dodger Stadium turf. His mistake was in rushing, off-balance, rather than either setting himself to throw or simply deciding to hold the ball, which would have left runners at the corners with two out and Boston still leading.Bleacher Report BleacherReportPUIGGGGGG 馃憦(via MLB)8VqICyIdUZHe apologized to Eovaldi afterward, but the pitcher told him not to worry about it, that they are all in this together."We're a team," Eovaldi told Kinsler. "I know you've got my back."And, he added, "I've got his."It was such a gutty, gritty performance that Porcello, who started and surrendered one run and three hits in 4.2 innings, said it left him in tears."That was the most incredible pitching performance I've ever seen," Porcello said."Everybody definitely had my back...tonight," Eovaldi said. "That means a lot to me. As a player, that's pretty much all you can ask for, your teammates to have your back and things like that."If not for Muncy, who drove another ball into the seats but foul in the 15th, Boston may well be on deck to sweep this series, and we'd be talking about Eovaldi the rest of the winter.Instead Willie McCovey Jersey , Muncy in the 18th whacked the first walk-off World Series home run since...Freese, for St. Louis, in the 11thinning of Game 6 of the 2011 World Series against Texas."That's cool," said Freese, who didn't know that until a reporter informed him after the game. "I'm just happy to be part of it."Not that he鈥攐r any other Dodger鈥攃ould remember many of the details."The 13th?" Kershaw repeated when asked about the clubs trading one run each in that inning to play even deeper into the night. "What happened in the 13th?""You know, to be honest, as the game kept going, you look up and see the 18thinning, and you're like, 'Holy cow, where did the game go?'" Muncy said. "But those last nine innings or so just kind of blended together."As the last several Dodgers batted, Dozier swung three bananas tied together by long shoelaces like a pendulum over the dugout railing in an apparent throwback to Hernandez's rally banana days from 2015.It was a bananas night. Long. Wacky. Tense. Surreal."Especially when you're on the outside looking in, kind of like a fan," Freese said. "Then you get in a handful of hours later鈥?"As he sat in the dugout waiting to be called, Freese continued to be amazed by what he watched around him, especially as Boston came so close to taking a 3-0 series lead and placing the Dodgers on the endangered species list."These guys are so relaxed," Freese said. "I haven't been around this group very long ... every now and then, they'll flip helmets or flip words, but man, they do a good job of turning the page.""Gut-wrenching game for both sides," Muncy said. "This is one of those games that whoever came out on top is going to have a lot of momentum going into tomorrow."A lot of momentum, but precious little sleep."Most people thought it was over when [Boston] scored their second run," Dodgers outfielder Cody Bellinger said. "I don't even know what inning that was."Scott Miller covers Major League Baseball as a national columnist for Bleacher Report. Follow Scotton Twitterand talk baseball.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..