headerimg

C.J. Beathard impresses

in General Suggestions Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 am
by liny195 • Farseer | 261 Posts | 2610 Points

Nick Mullens 49ers Jersey , but 49ers come up short against Chargers The San Francisco 49ers played their first game without quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, and they came oh so close to getting the upset. C.J. Beathard threw for 298 yards and two touchdowns, but a late interception after a huge pass rush prevented the 49ers from getting into the needed field goal range. The Los Angeles Chargers won by a final score of 32-27.The 49ers jumped out to an early lead, getting a pick six of Philip Rivers on the third play of the game, and adding a Kendrick Bourne touchdown late in the first quarter. The 14-0 lead had most everybody surprised. However, both sides of the ball slowed down in the second quarter. The 49ers led 17-6, but gave up a field goal and a touchdown to go into halftime tied with the Chargers.The Chargers scored a touchdown and field goal in the third quarter as the 49ers were losing a war of attrition. They lost Joe Staley and Dante Pettis to knee injuries, and Mike McGlinchey was knocked out for a couple series with his own injury. McGlinchey did return, but the team struggled with injuries.The 49ers did battle back, scoring a touchdown on an 82-yard catch and run score by George Kittle, and then adding a field goal to take a 27-26 lead. The Chargers managed a field goal of their own, and after some back-and-forth Quarterback Nick Mullens Jersey , the 49ers got the ball back trailing 29-27. They were moving the ball when the Chargers pass rush got to Beathard and he was picked off by a defensive lineman. The Chargers got a needed first down and was able to take a knee to close the game out.Beathard was the star of the game for the 49ers. He made some huge plays, and his two interceptions were not really his fault. The first was a drop by Garrett Celek, and the second came when he got bum-rushed by the pass rush. I don’t think we could have asked for much more from Beathard today.Up next: vs. Arizona Cardinals (0-4)Arizona came up short in a near upset at home of the Seattle Seahawks and remain winless on the season. The 49ers will be a two or three point favorite in this game, likely one of the few remaining games in which they’ll be favored. But given how C.J. Beathard looked against the Chargers, this is a game they need to win to show some development. Raise your hand if in the final minutes when the San Francisco 49ers punted, you knew how this game was going to end. I know I did. The moment Josh Rosen hit the field, it was almost clockwork. The 49ers have been in this position several times, and they have always proven that they can blow it. Until they show otherwise, you knew, with Larry Fitzgerald on the field, he would somehow find a way to take one of the worst offenses in the NFL and ruin our lives. So where do we begin with this? How about how the defense wasn’t God-awful this time around. They even generated some turnovers, imagine that. The offense didn’t turn the ball over—another point.k Unfortunately Rookie Nick Mullens Jersey , that’s really all the offense did, nothing. I said if the 49ers didn’t turn the ball over and could generate some turnovers themselves, they were going to win this game. I wrote that not thinking that C.J. Beathard would only complete half of his passes and get only 190 yards on the day. Even I gave him more credit than that. Well, that’s what I get for thinking, I suppose. I really gave them more credit, I wasn’t counting on a full collapse in the final minutes of the game. The 49ers would have won if...The defense could actually hold on. I said if the defense stopped making bonehead mistakes and got some turnovers, the 49ers were walking out of here with a ‘W’. For most of the day the defense played very well. In fact, they actually played their best game. Don’t ask me, ask Richard Sherman. Despite some missed tackles and screen passes of all things manhandling them, the defense was stout. Well, until the last six minutes. Because that’s when all bets were off. The Cardinals stormed downfield and the defense couldn’t get a stop (omitting colorful adjectives on the word “stop”) and blew it. Much like they did with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers and so many other teams. The elegant tank needs to go away for a bit. This roster, this team needs a WIN. Even without Jimmy Garoppolo http://www.49erscheapstore.com/laken-tomlinson-jersey-cheap , they need to show some sort of progress from year one to year two. The Cardinals were it. The 49ers lost because...The offense couldn’t extend a play when it needed to to stop that defensive collapse from happening. The 49ers defense managed turnovers and a safety among other things, but C.J. Beathard was inept. I’ll say it again: 190 yards passing. In the NFL, you either just gashed the ever-loving snot out of a team with a run game or you just couldn’t get anything going in the air. Sure there was the AWESOME Marquise Goodwin touchdown catch which accounted for almost half of Beathard’s passing yards on the day, but so many balls were late or ill timed. The 49ers at some points were making backpedaled leaps to pluck balls out of the sky in an attempt to keep Beathard from losing this game for them. The drive before the final Cardinals touchdown was just predictable. I almost could just time the three and out, and that muffed snap to end the game seemed more than adequate. Before you go out and think this offense is terrible, remember, Beathard is a backup quarterback shoved into an extended role he shouldn’t be. I think we all remember what happened to the Indianapolis Colts after Peyton Manning was out for an entire season due to a neck injury: They wound up with the first pick in the draft. Starting quarterback matters. The 49ers just don’t have someone who can take the team over for the season and keep things normal. If they did, that quarterback would be starting somewhere. Beathard is the best we have, and this was a foregone conclusion when he hit the field. Still a win would be nice.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..