headerimg

SMITH’S STARTSmith was charged with a season-high

in Off-topic discussion Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:58 am
by officialsbaseball • Farseer | 192 Posts | 1920 Points

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — All that Logan Forsythe has done since arriving in Minnesota is get hits.The veteran infielder joined the Twins at the beginning of August in a trade that sent popular second baseman Brian Dozier to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Thursday night was Forsythe’s 14th game in a Minnesota uniform Jarrod Dyson Jersey , and arguably his best.Forsythe had a career-high five hits and Jorge Polanco drove in four runs as the Twins outslugged the Detroit Tigers for a 15-8 victory.“Forsythe has come over here and has gotten on fire,” manager Paul Molitor said. “It’s given us a big lift.”The teams combined for seven homers, with Polanco’s three-run shot accounting for one of three by the Twins. Miguel Sano and Ehire Adrianza also went deep for Minnesota, which broke the game open with a seven-run sixth inning.Forsythe raised his batting average with the Twins to .449 (22 for 49). He was lifted for a pinch-runner in the seventh and received a nice ovation from the Target Field crowd.“I just felt like I’ve been in a good place and I just try to stay consistent with that approach, and the work, and it just came out tonight,” said Forsythe, who had two doubles. “A little luck’s involved when you get five in one night.”Minnesota chased Tigers lefty Francisco Liriano (3-8) in the second. A two-run, opposite-field homer by Sano ended Liriano’s night after he allowed eight runs, four earned.“Frankie obviously didn’t have his stuff and they whacked him around pretty good,” Detroit manager Ron Gardenhire said. “We got back in the ballgame pretty nicely and then they had another big inning.”Twins starter Ervin Santana wasn’t particularly sharp, either, in his fifth start after missing most of the year rehabbing a finger injury. Santana was pulled in the fifth after loading the bases with nobody out. He gave up seven runs and seven hits.Mikie Mahtook and James McCann hit consecutive homers off Santana in the fourth to trim Minnesota’s lead to 8-5. It was the first time all season the Tigers connected for back-to-back shots.“It was one of those games where you need to keep fighting through it and put together some good at-bats,” Mahtook said. “Unfortunately, some of their balls found holes and they scored more runs than we did.”Polanco’s first-inning homer put the Twins up 3-2 after Nicholas Castellanos‘ two-run homer in the top of the inning gave Detroit an early lead.The Tigers threatened in the fifth, and Trevor May walked in a pair of runs in relief of Santana to make it an 8-7 game.May (1-0) was credited with the win, his first since July 29 ttp://www.diamondbacksfanproshop.com/authentic-brad-boxberger-jersey , 2016, after missing last year due to elbow surgery. He threw two scoreless innings after walking in runs charged to Santana.“Getting a win added next to my name, especially as a reliever, is I think less important than just wins in general,” May said.GARDENHIRE WEIGHS INOne day after Marlins right-hander Jose Urena hit streaking Braves rookie Ronald Acuna with his first pitch of the game, the play was a common topic in MLB clubhouses. Urena was handed a six-game suspension.Gardenhire offered his opinion on the subject when asked about it before Thursday’s series opener in Minnesota.“I would be mad enough if I were the manager, I might start him tomorrow and lead him off just so they can smoke him and knock him out just because he did something so stupid, throw at a kid like that just because he’s hit home runs,” Gardenhire said.TRAINER’S ROOMTigers: SS Jose Iglesias was out of the lineup and will miss “a couple days,” according to Gardenhire. Iglesias injured his right thumb during Tuesday’s game against the White Sox.Twins: LHP Adalberto Mejia underwent a series of tests on his left wrist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and was diagnosed with nerve irritation. The team said there is no timetable for Mejia to begin rehabbing. He was injured Aug. 7 against Cleveland.UP NEXTTigers: LHP Matthew Boyd (7-10, 4.20 ERA) takes the mound looking to build off his last start, a six-inning, two-hit effort against the Twins five days ago in Detroit.Twins: RHP Kyle Gibson (6-9, 3.49) got the win against the Tigers his last time out, allowing just one run over seven innings. CHICAGO (AP) — Jon Lester felt he wasn’t as sharp as usual, though the Cubs and their ace left-hander came through in the clutch.Lester combined with three relievers on a four-hitter, David Bote hit an early two-run triple and the Cubs beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 3-0 on Thursday night to open a one-game NL Central lead over Milwaukee heading into the final weekend of the season.A day after the Cubs and Brewers assured themselves of no worse than wild-card berths Daniel Descalso Jersey , Lester (18-6) escaped a bases-loaded jam in the first inning and allowed three hits and four walks over six innings. He improved to 6-1 with a 1.71 ERA in his last eight starts.“His stuff looked normal from this side, but (Lester was) abnormal command-wise and he got through it,” manager Joe Maddon said. “He battled. He showed his mettle tonight.”The 34-year-old Lester said he ground out a “blue collar win” to keep the Cubs in first place.“Sometimes when you’re able to weave your way inside and out of trouble like tonight, these are the more rewarding wins than the ones where you have your good starts and are just able go out there and execute,” said Lester, who threw 66 of 108 pitches for strikes.Steve Cishek, Carl Edwards Jr. and Jesse Chavez followed, with Chavez pitching the ninth for his fourth save in five chances with Chicago.Chicago (93-66) hosts St. Louis (87-72) in the final series starting Friday, while Milwaukee (92-67) is at home against Detroit. The Cardinals (87-72) trail the Los Angeles Dodgers by one game for the second wild-card berth.The Cubs’ win means the NL Central champion, Chicago or Milwaukee, will finish with the league’s best record and will play the winner of Tuesday’s wild-card game. East champion Atlanta will play the West champion, Colorado or the Dodgers.And the Cubs, who didn’t celebrate after clinching a fourth straight postseason berth on Wednesday, want the division crown.“We’ve made the playoffs and nobody in that clubhouse is satisfied with that,” Lester said. “I think we call kind of expect to win the division.“We feel like that’s one of our goals and hopefully that comes to fruition this weekend. We’ll celebrate then.”Trevor Williams (14-10) gave up all three runs, eight hits and three walks in five innings. He had been 4-0 in six starts since losing to the Cubs on Aug. 17 and is 7-3 with a 1.38 ERA since the All-Star break.“I felt like it was a battle from the first pitch,” Williams said. “This is their third time seeing me this season http://www.diamondbacksfanproshop.com/authentic-ketel-marte-jerse , and they can swing the bat.“It’s not going to give me a sour taste in my mouth, but it’s going fire me up for this offseason and make me work extra hard to finish next season strong.”Bote started at third base in place of Kris Bryant, who missed his second game with a sore left wrist after getting hit by a pitch by Chris Archer on Tuesday.Lester singled in the fourth and scored on Daniel Murphy’s single.WHAT IF?If the Cubs and Brewers finish tied for first, the Cubs would host an NL Central tiebreaker game Monday because Chicago won the season series 11-8.CROWDSThe crowd of 38,415 pushed the Cubs season attendance at Wrigley Field over the 3 million mark for the third straight season.RETURN OF KANGThe Pirates expect INF Jung Ho Kang to join the club Friday and be active for a season-ending series at Cincinnati in what would be his first major league appearance in two years. Kang, who plays third base and shortstop, hit .273 with 36 homers and 120 RBIs in 229 games for the Pirates in 2015 and 2016,The 31-year-old didn’t play in North America between September 2016 and June 2018 because of visa issues connected to three DUI arrests his native South Korea.TRAINER’S ROOMPirates: OF Jordan Luplow underwent an appendectomy Thursday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. The 24-year-old appeared in 37 games this season.Cubs: Manager Joe Maddon said Bryant could start Friday against St. Louis. Bryant, the 2016 NL MVP, had two stints on the disabled list this season because of left shoulder inflammation.UP NEXTPirates: RHP Nick Kingham (5-7, 5.23) starts Friday at Cincinnati against RHP Anthony DeSclafani (7-7, 4.91).Cubs: RHP Kyle Hendricks (13-11, 3.49) opens the series against the Cardinals vs. RHP Adam Wainwright (2-3, 4.08.) In his last six starts, Hendricks is 4-1 with a 1.37 ERA.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..