headerimg

You touch that one more time

in Balance Discussion Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:43 am
by jinshuiqian0713 • Farseer | 1.260 Posts | 12600 Points

BOSTON -- World Series MVP David Ortiz and Boston Red Sox teammate Shane Victorino had their beards shaved for charity Monday to benefit victims of the Boston Marathon bombings in April. Nick Markakis Jersey . The "shave offs" occurred at Gillettes world headquarters. The Boston company donated $100,000 to the One Fund, which is assisting victims and their families of the bombings on April 15. Three people were killed and over 260 injured near the finish line that day. Ortiz, fresh off his third World Series title with the Red Sox, joked that its a perfect look for his off-season. "Im going down south -- some place warm," he said. "I feel fresh. Ive got to keep it real. Its not that cold down there." Sitting in one of two barbers chairs to Ortizs right, Victorino appeared a bit shocked when he looked into a hand-held mirror and realized his beard and goatee were completely gone. "Im a World Series champion and I look like Im 12-years old," he said. Ortiz had his most of his beard shaved off, leaving only a goatee. "Hes a three-time champ and Im a two-time champ, and hes a little more tenured in the city than I am," Victorino said. "Its different look for me and something Im definitely not accustomed to." But he did find another reason to enjoy his fresh look. "My kids will be excited," he said. "I dont know if theyre going to recognize me when I walk in the door. My daughter was tugging on it last night and said, When are you going to shave it? I didnt want to let the secret out. She was still sleeping when I left this morning." Ortiz couldnt resist teasing his now fresh-faced teammate. "He looks like hes in fifth grade. You going back to school?" Big Papi said. "Mine will grow very fast. I dont think Ill have any problems letting it grow. I dont know about this guy." Victorino said hes hoping to grow a beard back by spring training. "It was a battle. We fought to get that beard," Victorino said. Outfielder Jonny Gomes and first baseman Mike Napoli encouraged teammates during spring training to grow beards in spring training, even teasing players who talked about shaving. "Mike Nap said, You touch that one more time and were going to have to need a new DH," Ortiz recalled. Napoli and Gomes had the biggest, bushiest beards on the club. "It was a goal to come in and play hard and finish the season like we did for all the people that were struggling from the marathon, all the family members, the whole New England area that struggled with this and the whole country that struggled with this," Ortiz said. Victorino and Ortiz were joined by Fenway Park bullpen and Boston police officer Steve Horgan and fan, Michael Grant, from Leicester, Mass. Grant was selected from Gillettes Facebook and Twitter accounts. Horgan, stationed in the Red Sox bullpen, became an instant celebrity after he was photographed with his arms in the air celebrating Ortizs grand slam in Game 2 of the AL championship series as Detroit right fielder Torii Hunter flipped over the short fence with his legs straight upward. "I started it a week before the playoffs," Horgan said of his full beard. Julio Teheran Jersey . Trailing by a goal after 20 minutes of play, Joe Pavelski responded with three goals and an assist as the Sharks snapped a two-game losing skid with a 5-2 victory over the struggling Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday. Dale Murphy Jersey .C. -- After turning Tobacco Road into "Raleigh Top," Tennessee is headed to the round of 16. http://www.thebravesteamshop.com/Braves-Mike-Foltynewicz-Kids-Jersey/ .com) - Tonight will go a long way in determining the two wild card spots in the Eastern Conference.BASTAD, Sweden -- Mona Barthel of Germany beat Kaia Kanepi of Estonia 6-2, 7-6 in the Swedish Open quarterfinals on Friday. The 54th-ranked Kanepi was the highest ranked player left in the tournament after early defeats for the top eight seeded players. Barthel won on the first of two match points. Barthel, chasing her third WTA title, next pllays Silvia Soler-Espinosa. Atlanta Braves Jerseys. The Spaniard -- a first-time finalist in Strasbourg in May -- beat Russias Alexandra Panova 6-3, 6-2. In the other quarterfinals, Chanelle Scheepers of South Africa defeated Spains Lara Arruabarrena 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, while Slovakias Jana Cepelova beat Yulia Putintseva of Kazakhstan 6-4, 7-5. Cheap Red Sox Jerseys Cheap Marlins Jerseys Cheap Mets Jerseys Cheap Phillies Jerseys Cheap Nationals Jerseys Cheap Cubs Jerseys Cheap Reds Jerseys Cheap Brewers Jerseys Cheap Pirates Jerseys Cheap Cardinals Jerseys Cheap Diamondbacks Jerseys Cheap Rockies Jerseys Cheap Dodgers Jerseys Cheap Padres Jerseys Cheap Giants Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..