headerimg

The San Jose Sharks bus was late, so Tomas Hertl had to wait

in Balance Discussion Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:50 am
by jinshuiqian0713 • Farseer | 1.260 Posts | 12600 Points

DETROIT - The San Jose Sharks bus was late, so Tomas Hertl had to wait. Julian Draxler Paris Saint-Germain Jersey . That gave fans outside Joe Louis Arena another chance to ask for autographs from the 19-year-old whose stardom in the NHL has arrived earlier than most expected. Hertl has seven goals and three assists in his first eight games and is an early front-runner for the Calder Trophy as the rookie of the year. That production even caught coach Todd McLellan a little off-guard. "Id be lying if I said I wasnt (surprised)," he said after San Joses morning skate Monday in Detroit. "We expected him to be able to come in and make an impact on our team, but not to the extent that he has to this point." Hertls four-goal game Oct. 8 against the New York Rangers put him in the spotlight, spurring plenty of talk about showmanship because he shot between his legs and scored. Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates caused a stir by saying its important for young players like Hertl not to "disrespect the league," while an off-colour locker-room comment by captain Joe Thornton spun the attention in a different direction for a little while. The 2012 first-round pick has cooled off slightly since that breakout performance, but its not like the Sharks expect multi-goal games out of him that often. Given the ups and downs rookies tend to face, he might not finish the season with 20. Thats OK, because as general manager Doug Wilson puts it, "Tomas is not a one dimensional player." "Its not just the offensive numbers," Wilson said in a phone interview. "This kid is very poised in his own zone, he makes really smart plays protecting the puck, and to us hes a three-zone player that just fits in with how we want to play and where were going with our team." Where the Sharks are going is back on the rise, thanks in large part to the next generation of offensive players, including Hertl, potential Canadian Olympian Logan Couture and likely U.S. Olympian Joe Pavelski. And Wilson sees parallels between Hertls growth and what Couture and Pavelski went through as they blossomed into established NHL players. "We just think hes got a great combination of skill-sets: Obviously the size and the hands, but his vision and just how he can play all three zones," Wilson said. "Weve gone through this before and even though its a very different physical dynamic than Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski, but he has the vision and the ability to do things, I think, that high-end players have." Having just moved to North America after two full seasons in the Czech Extraliga in his native Czech Republic, Hertls English is limited. On the night he scored four goals, he kept saying how much of a dream it felt like. Monday he credited linemates Thornton and Brent Burns for his play and fellow Czech Martin Havlat for tutelage off the ice. "Our team is very good," he said. Wilson does believe playing alongside Thornton and Burns has helped Hertl, but the rookie gets points for thinking the game at a high enough level to click with such skilled veterans. The Sharks saw that in him dating to his time at the world junior championships. Of course the NHL is a long way from the junior level, and McLellan expects Hertl to hit a rough patch. "As a 19-year-old and all the emotions of starting the year and scoring seven goals early, its going to catch up to him at some point," he said. "Then well have to work him through those down times as well." The Sharks are prepared for that. Wilson said the organization doesnt go out of its way to promote young players — "we never have and we never will." So if the hype that surrounded Hertl after his four-goal game fades away or picks up, theres a strategy for getting the most out of him. "The most important thing is that theyre a trusted teammate and a trusted player by the coach, who can put them out on the ice in many different situations," Wilson said. "The other stuff, obviously the attention is he scored four goals or hes done this. The respect and equity he earns within our dressing room is how he plays the game shift-to-shift, day-to-day and hes earned that." As for Hertl being a reliable three-zone player, Thornton figures hell find out eventually. "With him and Burnsie, they just forecheck so hard, so I really havent seen him play too much defence all year," Thornton said with a smile. "I think weve only been playing in the offensive zone, to be honest with you." Thats not a bad place to be for a player with Hertls abilities. Angel Di Maria Paris Saint-Germain Jersey . -- Nick Bjugstad snapped out of his scoring slump and spoiled Drew MacIntyres first NHL start. Thiago Silva Paris Saint-Germain Jersey . "Right now were kind of looking at him at the end of the rotation right now," said pitching coach Pete Walker. "Not indicative of how hes doing or how hes feeling. Its just, it seems like the spot we want him right now. http://www.parissaintgermainfcstore.com/Women-Marquinhos-Paris-Saint-Germain-Jersey/ . Fielder ended 4-for-5 with a solo homer, while Avila was 4-for-4 with two runs scored for the Tigers, who put the brakes on a three-game skid and rebounded from a loss in Mondays opener. Victor Martinez and Austin Jackson both contributed two hits, an RBI and a run scored as Detroit maintained its healthy lead atop the AL Central.Formula One points leader Nico Rosberg won the pole position for the German Grand Prix, while his Mercedes teammate and championship rival, Lewis Hamilton, wrecked during the first round in Saturdays qualifying. Rosberg, a German, will start on the pole for his home grand prix on Sunday after making a lap around the 2.842-mile (4.574-kilometer), 17-turn Hockenheimring circuit in 1 minute, 16.540 seconds. He claimed his fifth pole of the season and the ninth of his F1 career. Two weeks ago, Rosberg started on the pole for the British Grand Prix but suffered his first retirement of the season due to a faulty gearbox. Since then, the 29-year-old Rosberg got married to his long-time girlfriend Vivian Sibold and signed a new multi-year contract extension with Mercedes. Germany won the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final as well. "For now, its been going really, really well," Rosberg said. "Its great. To be on pole for home race is fantastic. Of course, I would have preferred if it was an open fight with Lewis, so Im a little less happy with the result because Lewis didnt have a shot at it there at the end. "All in all, it was a fantastic day up to now, but there are no points today. There is a long way to go tomorrow, but its a good start." Rosberg has finished no better than fourth in seven German GP starts. He placed ninth in this race last year. Hamilton, who won his home grand prix in Great Britain and moved to within four points of Rosberg, wrecked during the mid-stages of Q1. He lost control and spun out before slamming hard into the barrier due to brake disc ffailure on his right-front. Julian Draxler Jersey. Hamilton was not injured but complained of soreness after making impact at a high rate of speed. He was taken to the tracks medical care center for observation and soon released. Hamilton finished 16th in qualifying but moved up one spot on the grid following a penalty for Saubers Esteban Gutierrez (assessed for causing a collision during the British GP). "Im a little bit bruised, but I will be fine," Hamilton said. "The car was feeling great, but then the brake failed. I guess the brake exploded. I lost brake pressure, and it sent me off into the wall. Its not a great feeling when that happens." Valtteri Bottas from Williams qualified second, while his teammate, Felipe Massa, placed third. "Im really happy with the result we got as a team today, second and third," Bottas said. "Well done to everyone. The lap I did in the end had no mistakes and was a really nice lap, so I felt like I got everything out of the car today." McLarens Kevin Magnussen took the fourth spot. Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull was fifth, followed by his teammate, Sebastian Vettel, the four-time and defending F1 world champion as well as the winner of last years German GP, which was held at the Nurburgring circuit. Fernando Alonso from Ferrari qualified seventh, and Daniil Kvyat put his Toro Rosso eighth on the grid. Force India teammates Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez completed the top-10. Among those failing to advance into Q3 were McLarens Jenson Button (qualified 11th) and Ferraris Kimi Raikkonen (12th). Cheap Canadiens Jerseys Cheap Predators Jerseys Cheap Devils Jerseys Cheap Islanders Jerseys Cheap Rangers Jerseys Cheap Senators Jerseys Cheap Flyers Jerseys Cheap Penguins Jerseys Cheap Sharks Jerseys Cheap Blues Jerseys Cheap Lightning Jerseys Cheap Maple Leafs Jerseys Cheap Canucks Jerseys Cheap Golden Knights Jerseys Cheap Capitals Jerseys Cheap Winnipeg Jets Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: selfstudys
Board Statistics
The forum has 6496 topics and 6555 posts.
Visitor record: 267 users on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm..